Colt single action army dating
Later Colt 1878 Double Action Army Models also wore this designation on the barrel when chambered in 44 WCF/44-40 Winchester.
The Bisley 1895 Model was the final Colt to wear the Frontier Six Shooter designation.
The name "Artillery" is actually a misnomer, which Sapp speculates may have originated because the Light Artillery happened to have the first units armed with the altered revolver.
The Artillery Single Actions were issued to the Infantry, the Light Artillery, the Volunteer Cavalry and other troops because the standard issue .38 caliber Colt M 1892 double-action revolver was lacking in stopping power. on the frame, the inspector's stamps on different parts (such as a tiny A for Orville W.
The OWA Colt refers to the earliest issued Single Action Army guns which were inspected by Orville W. Ainsworth was the ordnance sub-inspector at the Colt factory for the first 13 months (Oct. Both the Nettleton and OWA Colts have the cartouche (OWA or HN) on the left side of the wood grip.
By the mid-1870s, the Army had purchased a significant number of Smith & Wesson Schofield revolvers chambering a shorter .45 round. In 1895–96, the Government returned 2000 SAA revolvers to Colt's to be refurbished; 800 were issued to the New York Militia with the 7½" barrel and 1,200 were altered to a barrel length of 5½".
In 1920, larger, highly visible sights replaced the original thin blade and notch.
The revolvers remained essentially unchanged from that point until cessation of manufacture at the beginning of World War II.
This is identified as the "Pre War" or "First Generation" of the model.
The Colt Single Action Army which is also known as the Single Action Army, SAA, Model P, Peacemaker, M1873, and Colt .45 is a single-action revolver with a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges. The Colt SAA has been offered in over 30 different calibers and various barrel lengths.
government service revolver trials of 1872 by Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company – today's Colt's Manufacturing Company – and was adopted as the standard military service revolver until 1892.
The shorter barrelled revolvers are sometimes called the "Civilian" or "Gunfighter" model (4¾") and the Artillery Model (5½").
There was also a variant with a sub 4" barrel, without an ejector rod unofficially referred to as the "Sheriff's Model", "Banker's Special", or "Storekeeper".
Its overall appearance has remained consistent since 1873.